In honor of Cinco de Mayo, we thought we'd celebrate Mexican culture with a lovely hibiscus and cinnamon cocktail. Agua de jamaica is popular Mexican beverage made with hibiscus flowers. Essentially, this is agua de jamaica with our own twist. It's a refreshing, light, slightly fruity beverage that's not too sweet or too tart.
- 5 tbsp Just Like Heaven Hibiscus Organic Tea (dry leaves) by Finch & Fern
- 2 tbsp Celebration Cinnamon Organic Tea (dry leaves) by Finch & Fern
- 2 small limes
- 12 tiny scoops of Steviva-brand stevia (optional)
- tequila (optional), 1 shot per glass
- cinnamon stick to garnish (optional)
- Using a standard-sized (approximately 2-quart) heat-resistant glass pitcher, place the hibiscus and cinnamon tea into an infuser of your choice and add boiling water. Steep for 6-7 minutes.
- You can adjust the quantity of tea if using a larger or smaller pitcher. If you're planning on using a lot of ice in the final drinks, use a bit more tea. If not using ice, you can use a bit less.
- After steeping, remove the infuser and tea from the pitcher.
- Add sweetener if desired and stir. If not using Steviva-brand stevia, add enough sweetener to sweeten roughly six 12-ounce glasses.
- Place the pitcher into the refrigerator for four or more hours.
- To serve, place 2-3 ice cubes in each glass. Add a shot of tequila and a squeeze of fresh lime juice to each glass and then add your hibiscus/cinnamon iced tea.
- Garnish with a lime slice and cinnamon stick. If you want to get get really wild and crazy you can add a few fresh berries.